Putin / Heracles
Szegedy-Maszak, Andrew
2014-10-07 16:07:24 UTC
It's true what they say about the enduring power of Classical mythology. Sort of.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/10/putin-birthday-present-hercules-art-show.html

Andrew Szegedy-Maszak
Professor of Classical Studies
Jane A. Seney Professor of Greek
Wesleyan University
Middletown, CT 06459
ph: 860.685.2065
fax: 860.685.2089
Navarra Good

fax: 860.685.2089
Michael Smith
2014-10-07 18:53:22 UTC
Hipsters For Putin! Truly we live in an age of miracle
and wonder.
Ralph Hancock
2014-10-07 22:53:22 UTC
Irresistibly reminded of Rex Whistler's painting of 'H.R.H. the Prince
Regent Awakening the Spirit of Brighton':
http://goo.gl/OxZ5cJ

RH
Mark Davidson
2014-10-08 09:20:56 UTC
Post by Ralph Hancock
Irresistibly reminded of Rex Whistler's painting of 'H.R.H. the Prince
Regent Awakening the Spirit of Brighton'
http://goo.gl/OxZ5cJ
RH
Thanks for that! A real laugh-loud-out painting.

It's twentieth century, but satirising the neoclassical style of more than
a century earlier. HRH was notorious for his lechery and many mistresses,
and it was he who popularised Brighton as a destination for the wealthy
upper classes.

Note the Order of the Garter, with the star worn on his backside. It
immediately brings to mind the motto 'Honi soit qui mal y pense'.

Mark

Mark Davidson
2014-10-07 17:53:37 UTC
Post by Szegedy-Maszak, Andrew
It's true what they say about the enduring power of Classical mythology. Sort of.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/10/putin-birthday-present-hercules-art-show.html
Putin - the modern Commodus.

Mark