Ancient Autograph collection?
Lisa Maurice
2014-10-21 06:59:01 UTC
I received this from a friend who asks:

"Forgive me for bothering you but I am writing an article about an
autograph collection we have in the National Library and am looking for a
source for Pliny's autograph collection or his collection of letters -
preferably in his own writings or a reliable source that I can quote.
Everyone writes that he and Cicero collected autographs but no-one quotes a
source".

She goes on to quote the only source she has found to date, an email from
Steven Raab, who cited the autograph collecting legend on his blog, and
says:

"I found the information online in a 19th century publication, very likely
a British publication from mid-century with what seemed a very good
knowledge of antiquities. The article mentioned that Pliny the Elder had a
collection of manuscripts, and that Pliny the Younger inherited that. I
believe I recall the statement that Pliny the Elder was looking through
these when he saw the volcanic activity on Vesuvius".

The letter referring to Pliny the Elder's death says only that he
'studebat' when volcanic activity was first seen. I suspect this is an
urban legend created by the 19th century source. Does anyone know
otherwise or have an ancient source for autograph collection?

Thanks,

Lisa Maurice
david meadows

Lisa Maurice